Nature Park Lonja Range
This nature park is situated in the basin of the Sava and Lonja rivers and is the largest protected swamp area in the Danube basin, boasting one of the largest habitations of white storks in Europe, and 250 different bird-species.
A drive from Zagreb toward the Park. Arrival to the village of Krapje, built in the 18th ct., where a series of wooden one-story houses called “čardaci” or “trijemovi” are to be seen. They represent the peak of traditional rural wooden architecture in continental Croatia. In 1995, during the European Heritage Days, the historical rural village centre was declared a “European Village of Architectural Heritage.” At the welcome centre you will see a short and interesting movie on the park’s natural heritage. Afterwards, a short walk through the village and enjoyment of a half an hour raft trip (self-propelled) on the Sava river through the park. We will continue with drive through the Park and have a lunch with domestic specialties at a rural household.
The road leads further to the village of Čigoč – the first “European Stork Village”, received the title in 1994, from the European Foundation Euronatur. Thanks to natural conditions and preserved environment, on almost every house or byre the white storks make their nests. You will have another opportunity to admire traditional wooden one-story houses and learn some interesting facts about white storks. We will also visit a local ethnographic collection that depicts the old way of living in villages in this part of Croatia. Return drive to Zagreb.
Information & Options:
- Duration (approximate): 8 hours
- Info: white storks are to be seen in the Park from 1st April to 15th August; raft capacity is 25 Pax (larger groups are divided into two for sightseeing – half group on the boat/ half group sightseeing walk through the village)
- Included services: tourist van/coach drive, certified travel escort, touring as described, entrance tickets for the Park, a short film on the Park heritage, a boat drive, tickets for the ethnographic collection, lunch (3 course + one drink per person), organizational costs
- Not included: individual orders and services that are not under “included”, travel insurance
- Optional services: expert ranger guidance in the Park, bird-watching
For price and further options please send us a request.
Photo: CNTB, Bojan Haron Markičević